When you add a product to the shopping cart, if you select your country and enter your Zip Code or Postal Code and then press Recalculate, the screen will refresh and it will give you a pull down list of shipping options and prices.
So how are the shipping rates calculated?
It depends on the shipping carrier, such as UPS or the Post Office. Each have their own method of calculating shipping costs and each have different surcharges. Continue reading below for more information.
UPS Shipping Rates for the USA
UPS rates are based on the following.
1. The actual weight or the dimensional weight (which is the size of the package) and your zip code, which is used to calculate the distance from the shipper.
Note: Rates will also vary depending on the shipping service you select. UPS Ground is the least expensive, while UPS Next Air is the most expensive.
2. UPS always rounds up the weight to the next whole pound. ie. A 1 pound 2 oz. package, UPS rounds it up to 2 pounds
3. UPS also uses dimensional weight, which basically is the size of the package. For example, our Jib Arm weights only 9 pounds, but due to the size of the box that it ships in, UPS charges us as if it was a 40 pound package.
4. Depending on your zip code, UPS may charge a Delivery Area Surcharge for each package. In other words, if you don't live in or around a large city, UPS will charge the Delivery Area Surcharge.
5. They also have an Extended Area Surcharge, again this is based on your location. For example if you live out in the country.
6. They also charge for package insurance. Which is based on the value of the contents in the box.
7. UPS charges a fuel surcharge for each package. Can vary weekly and is based on UPS's fuel cost. Fuel surcharges can range 2% to 10% or more.
8. There are other misc. surcharges that can be added to a package.
This is how shipping two identical packages, with the same weight, one going to a small town in only 200 miles away can cost more to ship than a package going to Washington, DC, which is a 1000 miles away. The small town package, will have several surcharges added to because of the location.
Other UPS Shipping Notes:
Saturday Delivery is not available to all areas. For Saturday delivery you must call the order in.
Overnight Delivery by 12 Noon is not available in all areas. However, Next Day Air by 7PM is available in virtually all areas of the Continental 48 states.
UPS Shipping to Canada
Shipping into Canada via UPS has the same surcharges as above, but the rates and surcharges are much higher. So you may want to choose Priority Mail.
We only charge you for the shipping cost. This does not include any broker fees or taxes charges that MAY apply. Please contact UPS in Canada for more information. UPS Ground shipping times to Canada are 6 to 10 days on average, depending on what part of Canada you are in.
Shipping with the Post Office?
The Post Office charges by the zip code location, the weight and/or by dimensional weight. They do offer flat rate prices on a couple of small boxes, however, it is generally less expensive to ship by the zip code and weight.
In the shopping cart screen, simply enter you Country and Postal Code, then press recalculate. Then click on the down arrow next the the shipping cost for more options.
What about Fed-EX?
There rates are more or less the same as UPS, including the various surcharges.
International Shipping (other than Canada) - Read This Page
Orders placed after 3 PM EST will ship the business next day.
All packages must be signed for, this is for you protection and ours.
Average UPS Ground Ship Times for USA:
|1 to 2
|Approx. 2 to 3
|Approx. 3 to 4
|Approx. 4 to 6
|Approx. 6 to 8
Business Days = Monday thru Friday and does not include Holidays or Weekends. When counting shipping days do not count the day the item was shipped on. For example, an order shipping via 2 Day air that was placed on Monday will arrive on Wednesday. A 2 Day air order placed on Friday will arrive on Tuesday.
Saturday delivery is not available to all areas. For Saturday delivery you must call the order in.
Canadian Orders: We only charge you for the shipping cost. This does not include any broker fees or taxes charges that MAY apply. Please contact UPS in Canada for more information. UPS Ground shipping times to Canada are 6 to 10 days on average, depending on what part of Canada you are in.
UPS Air Delivery Guarantee - The guarantee DOES NOT apply to UPS shipments that contain incorrect or incomplete addresses, if you are unavailable to sign for the package or UPS shipments that are delayed due to causes beyond UPS’s control (such as weather, mechanical break downs, etc.). Saturday delivery is not available to all areas. Please visit the UPS website for more information on exclusions.
Once UPS, the Post Office or shipping carrier shows the package has been delivered the customer will assume all responsible for the package. Studio 1 Production will not be held responsible for any package lost, stolen or missing once UPS, the Post Office or the shipping carrier shows the package has been delivered.